Not a member?
JOIN HERE
Find and click on your name.

VISIT CLASS STORE


12% of all sales go directly to our class.

WHO'S ONLINE NOW


No registered users are online right now.

PROFILE UPDATES


•   Terry Hoffmann  5/9
•   Norman W. Cleesattel  5/6
•   Robert Wright  4/14
•   Dan Pitkin  4/9
•   Michael Wieder  3/15
•   Barbara Newton (Flanders)  3/6
•   Gary Hill  2/5
•   Richard Hewett  11/10
•   Wendy Duchscherer (Keller)  8/25
•   Patricia Detar (Scanlon)  7/4
Show More

WHERE WE LIVE


Who lives where - select from the dropdown to find out.


UPCOMING BIRTHDAYS



•   Norine Heitman (Burczyk)  6/19
•   Linda D. Ferer (Gilman)  6/21
•   John Vogelman  6/23
•   Rosemary Mieszczak  6/25
•   Donald Robins  6/27
•   William Rae  6/28
•   Diane S. Gao (Herman)  6/29
•   Lynn Gibson (Walz)  7/1
•   H. Carl Hoffman  7/2
•   Peter Bisgeier  7/7
•   Michael Shapiro  7/7
•   Betty Gierlak (Duszynski)  7/12
•   Marjorie Gillies  7/13
•   Edward Petit  7/14
•   David Bury  7/17

WHERE ARE THEY NOW


MISSING CLASSMATES


Know the email address of a missing Classmate? Click here to contact them!

JOINED CLASSMATES


Percentage of Joined Classmates: 55.3%


A:   280   Joined
B:   226   Not Joined

Kenmore West Senior High School
Class Of 1960

 

Kenmore West Senior High School

 

Kenmore West Class of 1960 David Hight Scholarship Recipient for 2018 is ALEXANDER KIRISITS. 

 

 

Please see the email sent to you in regards to Alex.

Below is Alex receiving our scholarship from Hugh McPherson.

For those of you who did not have the opportunity to donate to the 2018 scholarship fund, we are planning to continue our campaign for 2019 and will be accepting donations toward that goal.    Please consider donating so we may continue to fund the Kenmore West Class of 1960 David Hight Scholarship Fund.

Checks to be made out to:

Kenmore West Class of 1960 (and marked Scholarship)

   and mailed to:

 

Dianne Logan Weinert

135 Fairways Blvd.

Williamsville, New York 14221

       

The Village of Kenmore is "Buffalo's First Suburb". Following the Civil War, the City of Buffalo's population grew tremendously. With the invention of electric streetcars, people were able to live outside of walking distance from their jobs. By 1888, L.P.A. Eberhardt purchased land just north of the Buffalo border and began to build a home.Churches were erected beginning in 1891 and the first Village store was opened in 1897.

The first school was erected in 1892. The Kenmore Union School was built where the Municipal Building now stands. The school was utilized until 1911 when the Washington School was opened.

In 1889, the Village boasted a horse-drawn omnibus, which ran up and down Delaware Avenue at no charge to passengers. Lots sold for $250.00 and by 1890 nearly 300 people called Kenmore home. There were no sidewalks, streetlights or sewers. Drinking water was scarce and there were only dirt roads.

By 1899, the Village had enough residents to qualify for legal incorporation. 313 persons signed the proposition calling for incorporation. An election was held and the Village was incorporated on September 5, 1899.

The Fire Department was established in 1903 and the Kenmore Police Department was created in 1919.

 

HOW DID THE VILLAGE OF KENMORE GET ITS NAME?

Former Village Historian, Frederick Parkhurst, explained how the Village was named “Kenmore” in his 1925 book, History of Kenmore. The book explains that Louis Eberhardt, known as the Father of Kenmore, opposed naming the Village “Eberhardt”.  He was responsible for buying up farmland and subdividing the property into a suburban development.  The building which is portrayed on the Village logo is of the Eberhardt  Mansion, located at the corner of Delaware Avenue and Kenmore Avenue.  

The following is an excerpt from Mr. Parkhurst’s book:  

It was proposed calling the village "Eberhardt" ; but firmly 
and modestly Mr. Eberhardt said, "No, they might nickname it 
'Dutchtown'." But the real reason was Mr. Eberhardt's aversion
to personal publicity and display. The Erie Railroad was 
building a station at this time in the north-east section of 
Buffalo near Main Street and had chosen the name "Kenmore", 
but Mr. Eberhardt with an ear for euphony, appropriated 
the name for the fast growing community and the name 
"Kensington" was attached to the Erie Station. A sign bearing 
the name "KENMORE" was placed at the intersection of Delaware 
and Kenmore Avenues, where all who ran might read. 

There are several places called Kenmore in the United States, 
notably Kenmore in Fairfax County, Va., the home of Washington’s 
sister, and a village in Ohio. Probably both these 
places, our own village, and other places so named, took their 
name from a small island on the south-west coast of Ireland; 
or from a village in Scotland.



VILLAGE HISTORIAN: Ed Adamczyk

http://www.villageofkenmore.org/

 

 
Here are a few minutes of pure beauty and relaxation
The guy flying the 3 kites is in his 80s, and he's from Canada . He comes to the Washington State International Kite Festival every year. His skin is like leather as he normally flies with his shirt off. He is deaf, so when he flies we hold our hands up and wave them for applause. He flies 2 with his hands and the 3rd one is attached to his waist. Enjoy!
You must watch to the end to see the amazing landing of that last kite! And of course, make sure the volume is turned up because the music is wonderful and totally reflects the soaring of the kites. Beautiful!

 

Remember the popcorn/peanut man?

Who remembers this?